Saturday, January 14, 2012

Six Pack: Katy Perry

It's time for another "Saturday Six Pack"  Today's focal point will be the reasonably talented but wildly popular Katy Perry.  I say "reasonably talented" because she is not an over-powering singer, but she is very good.  The "wildly popular" thing is pretty self-explanatory.

Herewith are my (to this point in her career) favorite (ranked in order) KP songs:

#6.  Waking Up In Vegas
When it first came out I thought the sound of coins coming out of a slot machine in the intro was the coolest thing I'd heard on the radio in a long time. Then it got overplayed (like many other KP songs) and so I didn't quite love it as much. But it's still fun to sing along with.

#5.  Firework
This song is an inspirational call to anyone trying to overcome shyness or feelings of inadequacy ... at least that's what it means to me.  It will also always remind me of the mostly unsuccessful Flash Mob we did at work in 2011.  Not an "epic fail" ... but in the "fail" category for sure.

#4.  California Girlz
I specifically chose the non-official video for some obvious reasons (if you've never seen that version, I do not recommend it with children around).  Still a fun beat and always makes me think about the times I have spent in California in my life.

#3.  Teenage Dream 
I saw KP perform this on SNL, which actually made me like the song a little less. As far as the message of the song, I very much disagree with the lyrics (drinking, "going all the way with no regrets," etc.) but the tune, especially the chorus, is just ... catchy!

#2.  ET
The words themselves could just be about the song "hypnotizing," "magic," "take me, ta-ta-take me."  Not that her overall look hadn't already drawn geeky fanboys, but this song just seems like a comic-con "geek" fantasy and most certainly cemented her adulation among that group of fans.

#1.  The One That Got Away
It could be that this is my favorite KP song because it hasn't been overplayed (yet), but I am a sucker for "lost love" songs and this one is just perfect!  "In another life, I would make you stay, so I don't have to say you were the one that got away."  The vocal hook of "wuh-uh-uh-uh-uh-one" had me the first time I heard it and it's still my favorite part of the song.  I also like the lyrics "it'd be us against the world" which makes me think about my relationship with my awesome wife of almost 14 years!

...

No comments:

Post a Comment