Saturday, January 28, 2012

Six Pack: Colbie Caillat

It's Saturday again so it must be time for another "Six Pack" of songs!  Today's featured THEME will be the artist Colbie Caillat.

I've been a fan of her music since I first heard it and own all three of her currently released CDs.  Karen won tickets for us to go and see her in concert 3 years ago at the Colorado State Fair.  She was still a relatively new artist then and it showed with her stage presence (which was very timid).  The concert was very good though and her most recent CD contains some of her strongest work yet.  The fact that my wife really enjoys her music makes me like them both even more (CC because my wife likes her and Karen because she has good taste!)  :)

Herewith are my Six Pack of favorite CC songs (and the album they are from):

#6.  Fallin' For You (Breakthrough)
As great as this song is, it's only #6 on my list because I love the other songs even more.  And it narrowly beat our her first single "Bubbly" which is also a great tune.

#5.  Realize (Coco)
Almost everyone has had the kind of friend that you thought should be more than a friend.  When you're "there" then you have a sense of not wanting to ruin what you already have (friendship) but also a curiosity about what you might be missing (true love).  This angst is perfectly captured in this song ... you just wish the other person would "make the first move."

#4.  I Do (All of You)
I do ... like this song!  My wife LOVES it, which is the main reason that it is on this list.  The upbeat, catchy guitar riffs hook you instantly while the title and chorus make it a guaranteed staple for wedding parties for years to come.  But the 7-year-old inside of me giggles every time she sings "do do."

#3.  Brighter Than The Sun (All of You)
Of her "released" music, this song was instantly my favorite!  With an even more catchy rhythm than "I Do," this song combines clapping and appropriately placed vocal stutters with short, crisp chords and pretty fancy guitar picking.  If she could have found a rhyme other than "gun" this might be on my favorite songs of all time list.

#2.  Fearless (Breakthrough)
The slow melody of this tune seems to contradict with the words being sung.  There is hurt in her voice, the result of someone she loves having left her.  It seems she is trying to convince herself, in this song, that she can move on ... "I'm fearless.  Better believe I'm fearless."  And the resounding harder beats of the song emphasize her commitment to overcome this desperation ... "Oh, oh, oh, oh whoa-oh-oh-oh"  That is real hurt but also has a cleansing effect.  Brilliantly done!

#1.  Tailor Made (Coco)
Although not her strongest lyrics or music, this tune still ranks as my CC favorite.  Unless you own the CD, you've probably never heard it.  The song is just a hopeful love song ... for another person.  That's what I like about it.  I have family members and friends who are single and just haven't found that right fit.  I think of them when I hear this song and hope they can find someone that is "Tailor Made" for them ... like I did with Karen!  :)

...

No comments:

Post a Comment