Sunday, January 29, 2012

Come What May ... and ... I See The Light

People often seem surprised when finding out that actors and actresses can "carry a tune" but I'm never surprised by that!  I believe most everyone can sing decently, and with a little coaching and work, most people can sing very well.  It IS, however, a surprise when actors and actresses sing a song that becomes a huge favorite for me.  There are, thus far, only two such songs that "make the grade" for me.

Come What May (from Moulin Rouge)
 ... by Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman

I See The Light (from Tangled)
 ... by Zachary Levi and Mandy Moore

To be fair, Mandy Moore is a singer turned actress turned singer, so she is in a different category, but the other three are clearly actors and an actress, but they all sing very well.  Nicole Kidman's voice is not very strong, but it is just as beautiful as she has been in most of her movies.  And the boys?  Ewan and Zachary?  They can seriously carry their own!  I saw Zachary perform on the Oscars and he sounded great!  And Ewan has done some Broadway stuff so you know he's good.

Come What May has a "we can overcome anything" sort of feeling to it, which is needed in any really strong relationship.  There are times when you almost have to shout your love and commitment and the slow build to that climax in this song is one of the best I have ever heard, movie-related or not!

I See The Light is perfect for a Disney movie, but as a stand alone song about perspectives being changed and new light being shed on how you see another person, it is even more amazing!  A duet, with minimal background sound, makes each note more important.  The harmony between tenor and alto parts is so beautiful that I literally cried the first time I heard the song (with my oldest daughter, in the movie theater).

...

No comments:

Post a Comment