Saturday, January 7, 2012

Six Pack: Instrumental Songs

One of the themes I am considering for this blog is a Saturday Six-Pack series of posts.  Top 5 lists are too over-used and since I have a "six-pack" of kids, I like the concept of a "Six-Pack of Songs."

Here's my first example of what this might look like:

I always love having music playing.  It soothes or rejuvenates.  It inspires or mellows.  It makes you want to get up and dance or gives you the courage to sing along.  But ... there are times in my life when I just want music as more background noise.  Like when I am writing PEs (Performance Evaluations) at work.  If the music is too energetic or makes me want to sing along with it, then I'll be very unsuccessful in writing these assessments.

With that in mind, here is a Six-Pack of Songs from a variety of artists, that would fit perfectly playing through my headphones as I try to get my work done at my desk:

Latin Quarter ... by Marc Antoine
I found this artist back when a local radio station used to play Smooth Jazz all the time.  I have his "Best Of" CD, which includes several tracks just like this one.  It's upbeat, but not the kind that you need to get up and dance to.  Perfect for inspiring my fingers to type fast and my thoughts to flow freely.

Common Threads ... by Bobby McFerrin
Who says that "instrumental" songs can't be "played" using only the voice and body as instruments?!  This song is make-you-cry good!  There is just something about the way this genius of an artist uses his voice to create such a masterpiece of music!  I listen to this song at least 5 times in a row every time it comes up on my MP3 player ... no matter the circumstances!

Something Constructive ... by John Jarvis
This is not my favorite song by this artist (which would be "Lyrica" from his Balancing Act CD ... that whole CD is awesome!), but is a worthy example of his style of piano and guitar music that is great to hear in the background.

You Make Me Smile ... by Dave Koz
Those who truly follow jazz music already know the wonder that is Dave Koz, but most folks just know Kenny G, who obviously had more mainstream success.  For my money, give me some classic Koz!

Watermark ... by Enya
No true "great instrumental" list could be properly complete without including Enya.  To some people, her music all sounds alike, but to me, every song is unique.  This one always reminds me of driving to seminary on a rainy morning in the early 1990's and it always provokes deeper thoughts in whatever I am doing when I hear it.

Smoothie Song ... by Nickel Creek
Many of Nickel Creek's songs are not truly "instrumental" (such as my personal favorite "Sweet Afton") but virtually all of them are soothing.  This particular song has a repetitive hook that builds.  I actually think the way this video was done compliments the song even more, which does not always happen.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment