Saturday, February 4, 2012

Six Pack: Jack Johnson

I love me some Jack Johnson.  He enjoyed some critical and popular success in the early 2000's but most of his stuff that I really love are not those "popular" songs.  His music is a perfect complement to our Caribbean Cruise (which is on Day 3 today).

Herewith is a "Six Pack" of my (current) favorite Jack Johnson songs:

#6.  Upside Down
Great messages in this one ... "I'll share this love I've found with everyone" and "Who's to say what can't be found?"  Plus the video is cool with Curious George and all.  =)

#5.  Taylor
This OFFICIAL video is hilarious, with a cameo by Ben Stiller.  But I like the song for the lyrics: "Sometimes he thinks he's on his way, but I can see ... that his brake lights are on."  And later on "If Taylor finds a better world.  Taylor's gonna run away."  The song itself is HERE if you don't want the Ben Stiller comedic version.

#4.  Flake
This song (along with Bubble Toes) was what propelled JJ into the national spotlight, and rightly so as this tune has a unique sound, especially with the split-personality mood change 3/4 of the way into the song.  I also love the lyrics "It seems to me that maybe, pretty much always means no."  My oldest son busted that out on me when I kept telling him "maybe" about getting a frog as a pet.  He still has no frog.  =)

#3.  You And Your Heart
After the release of the very mellow (too mellow if you ask me) Sleep Through The Static in 2008, I kinda forgot about JJ for a little while.  Then I heard this song on the radio and immediately went out and bought the CD.  The relentless, yet relaxed rhythm is the signature sound of Jack Johnson.  Welcome back!

#2.  Mudfootball
The picture at left represents the kind of "boys will be boys ... playing football" theme of this song.  I'm too old to enjoy it now, but there was a time when romping through the mud playing football was pretty much a perfect day in my life!


#1.  Better Together
By now you should realize that most of the music I love reminds me of my wonderful wife Karen or of times we have spent together.  I can honestly say that the best times I have had in this life were always better when Karen and I have been together!  =)  Love you Pretty Lady!

...

No comments:

Post a Comment