Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Everyday

Another possible theme for this Theme Song Blog is what I like to call a Two-fer Tuesday.  Here's how it will work:
 - I will pick two songs with the same title (hopefully I like both of them)
 - I will post both song links and share my thoughts on each
 - Then YOU can vote which one is better.
 - Keep in mind: Both songs may not be the same tune, but just share the same title.  Today's offering is an example of that sort of situation.

Everyday ... by Dave Matthews Band
One of my favorite parts of this song has to be the video, starring Judah Friedlander.  He is, of course, now a regular on the NBC tv show "30 Rock" but this was the first thing I'd ever seen him in.  The video perfectly honors the main refrain "All you need is love" from the song.  The tune itself is just okay in my opinion (except for the awesome chorus), but the video makes it a big winner in my book.

Everyday ... by Phil Collins
Oddly enough, the official video for this song is actually one of my least favorite things about it.  In this case, it is the music itself that I love the most.  The keyboard / piano introduction (which is way to quiet in this video) to the song is classicly beautiful, and (unlike most PC tunes) the drums play only a supporting role for the beat of the tune.  The words "I can't stop thinking about you.  It seems my life's worth nothing without you" contradict his hopeful refrain that "everyday I say I'll try to make my heart be still."  Poetry in music!

So now it's your turn to VOTE.  Simply comment below with which song you like better, and why (if you like).  I'd love to hear your thoughts on either song ... or you could suggest "same title" songs for me to consider doing in future posts.

Thanks for playing!

...

No comments:

Post a Comment